|2000 – 2001
||Redwood City, CA
|Software Engineer III -
Portal Runner Team
I started at 3do as a member of the team for the Playstation One version of Portal Runner, which was to
be based on the source code from Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2. My tasks included:
- Modifications to the camera system.
- Programming of a shadow system that would allow shadows to
conform to the terrain geometry.
- Implementation of a Windows program (in Borland C++
Builder) to aid the designers in setting attributes and sound
effects for terrain tiles.
- Implementation of the Texter program for Windows, written
with Visual Studio and MFC, to allow creation of font and
formatted (WYSIWYG) text data with an eye toward easing future
- Design and programming of a text engine that would work
with the formatted data, and integration of this engine with
the already existing Sarge 2 codebase.
- Implementation of all game menus and necessary support code.
- Programming to add all cheat codes.
- Creation of an endurance testing mode using semi-random
simulated pad input.
Part way through that project, we merged the PS1 and PS2
teams, and then eventually the PS1 project was cancelled. My tasks
for the PS2 project included:
- Reimplementation of the Texter font and text program for
the creation of PS2 fonts and data.
- Reimplementation of my text engine on the Playstation 2 and
the addition of special features to take advantage of the PS2
hardware, including animated text effects, scaling, and GS
features like bilinear filtering, fractional pixels, and alpha channel.
- Implementation of all game menus with additional PS2
features, such as animated 3d objects and particle effects.
- Porting of my cheat code and endurance mode from PS1 to PS2.
- Reimplementing portions of the data path to use compressed